Do you have a friend that will soon be riding off to pastures new? Is she retiring? Well it’s about time you had her retirement gift sorted. It’s pretty obvious that you’re a bit stuck for ideas, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this. You’ll be pleased to know you’re in the right place, because we’ll be looking at great retirement gifts for women. If the retiree has been your friend and mentor for many years then you want a gift that shows how much she’s inspired you, not just personally but professionally too. Your gift should also to inspire her onto bigger and better things in her retirement years. You need to be careful though because some women look on retirement with trepidation. Not everyone is prepared to embrace their retirement. Therefore, female retirement gifts should mark the beginning of a new life chapter, not the end of the book.
For those of you struggling to come up with new ideas keep reading, because we’re about to share our top retirement gifts for women.
Retirement gift ideas for women that will raise a smile
Spend some time considering our ideas before you head off to the store or start looking at various online gift sites. Even if you don’t find something you really like we’re sure our ideas will act as inspiration.
- Retirement gifts connected with a hobby – Retirement is a time when there will be more free time for the retiree. Time in which to do all the things she hasn’t had time for when she’s been pursuing her career. There will be opportunities for experimenting and trying new experiences. There will be time for creating, time for learning, and time to relax. If there is something in particular they are interested in give a gift that will help them achieve their goal. Art supplies for the artist, wool for the knitter, dancing lessons for the lady with two left feet, or anything else that will come in useful or help her try something new.
- Retirement presents for ladies who love to read – Books are always a good retirement gift as the female retiree is going to have lots of time on her hands to curl up on the couch and enjoy a good book. Whatever age you are, a book can cheer you up, transport you to far off places, or teach you something new. If there is a particular author she loves or a particular type of literature she enjoys reading then make sure you grab a book that will be meaningful.
- Gardening retirement gifts for women – Gardening is a very popular activity for retirees, possibly because it is so relaxing and calming. Research has shown that gardening has health giving properties. Give them a set of gardening tools, you can buy sets specially designed with the female in mind, and you’ll be helping to nurture another of her interests. The retiree may not have considered gardening as a pastime but your gift will encourage her to put her free time to good use.
- A retirement gift that will help her relax – We asked around the office and this particular gift came at the top of many people’s list when it came to things they’d love to be doing. Working a steady career, and possibly even raising a family, won’t have left much spare time for the female retiree to think about herself. Now she’s retiring there will be all the time in the world. Get her new chapter off to a good start by giving her the chance for a spot of rejuvenation. Give her spa coupons, that can be spent on various pampering treatments. After a pedicure, manicure, massage, new hairstyle, makeover, hot stones treatment or any number of other ways to relax, she’ll feel like a new woman. Ready to stand tall and take on new life challenges.
- Flowers and chocolate – Who doesn’t love chocolate? How many of you would turn down a beautiful bouquet of flowers? Chocolates and flowers might be considered unimaginative, but there aren’t many females who would turn their noses up at either. The flowers will serve to brighten up her day, and the chocolate will release those lovely ‘happy hormones’. If you’re worried about the blooms fading there is always the alternative of a gold dipped rose, an exquisite bloom that will last a lifetime.
- Personalized jewelry – Jewelry is an excellent retirement gift for women. You can never have too much jewelry. There are so many choices that even for the strangest of tastes there will be something that suits. Necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, charms, are just a few examples. A particular favorite of ours are items of jewelry that have been crafted from miniature rose petals, glazed and trimmed in gold.
- Gifts for the lady who plans to travel – Lots of retiring females will be planning to do more travelling. When they were young, or busy working, there will have been little time to explore new places. Now they are retiring there will be every opportunity to tick some destinations off their bucket list. Help them with their plans by giving them a retirement gift that will be useful on their travels. And when she’s travelling your gift will remind her of you.
- A gift that’s fun – If your female friend has a great sense of humor then perhaps a gag gift is the order of the day. Have her favorite quote printed on a coffee mug, or made into a print to hang on her wall.
- Retirement gifts for the art lover – Whether it’s music she loves, art, literature, theater or the movies, buy her tickets to the best shows.
The best way to think about retirement gift ideas for females
The concept of retirement is currently undergoing a change. No longer does it automatically mean the end of a working life. It currently means the end of a full time job. Many retired women will still need added income. While they may be retiring from a full time professional job they will still want to do things that are profitable and productive.
Many retiring women will be looking at their retirement years as the time to pursue new interests, discover a creative side, start a new business, or do more for a favorite charitable cause. Retirement isn’t the end of life, merely another stage in the life of a woman.
A new concept that has recently entered the world of gifts is the gift of an experience. Does a woman over 60 really want more stuff to clutter her home? A great alternative to the traditional kind of gift is to give her the opportunity to try something she’s long dreamed of trying. It could be a travel voucher, a river cruise, helicopter ride, hot air balloon flight, a weekend away, tickets to a sporting event, or one of the other varied and unique experiences. Just make sure it matches her interests and personality.
We hope that now you’ve got a few ideas under your belt you’re feeling much more confident. Obviously we haven’t been able to mention all the brilliant ideas, and we’d love to hear from you if you’ve recently received or given the best retirement gift ever.